February 2018 UC Food and Climate Fellows Leadership Training
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
This training is offered to the 2017-18 student fellows of the UC President’s Carbon Neutrality (CNI) and Global Food (GFI) Initiatives by staff leaders of UC Irvine Community Resilience Projects and UCOP Office of Sustainability.
The purpose of the two-day training is to increase fellows’ skill in transformative leadership, communication about critical food and climate issues, and select organizing tools; to provide a community-building forum for fellows to reflect more deeply and critically about the global and equity contexts in which their fellowship projects take place; and to provide a space for fellows to engage in dialogue and peer learning to enhance their current practices, projects, and collaboration for food and climate action.
February 9-11 – Ben Lomond Quaker Center, Ben Lomond, CA
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, at 12:00 p.m.
View reports and student feedback from past trainings
- 2015/16 Fellows Retreat (pdf)
- 2014/15 Fellows Retreat (pdf)
It is expected that participants in this program will:
• Develop sustainability, food, and climate leadership skills
• Deepen understanding and improve capacity to articulate CNI and GFI objectives, including the global and equity contexts in which their fellowship projects take place
• Gain clarity about student engagement in CNI and GFI, and deepen statewide peer relationships for greater student impact on CNI and GFI’s directions
• Gain understanding of and generate new ways to become involved with other student leaders to increase campus and UC-wide innovation on climate and food action through UC mechanisms
• Develop a network and strong sense of community with peers across issues
• Deepen understanding of and generate new thinking about further involvement and commitment to these issues at their home campus, with UC, and beyond after the close of their fellowship year
The residential training will be offered from Friday, February 9 (program begins at 3 pm) through Sunday, February 11 (program ends at 3 pm) in Ben Lomond, CA. Participation during the entire training is required. The training will have a mix of climate and food fellows.
Facilitators: Abby Reyes, Director, UCI Community Resilience Projects and Janika Mcfeely, Sustainability Specialist, UCOP Office of Sustainability
Food: An integral part of this program is our culinary experience. The menu focuses on sustainability, culture, and traditional seed-to-plate systems thinking. You should expect a diverse, flavorful, healthy, and vegetarian cuisine for the duration of your stay as well as dialogue and inquiry into our food systems and cultures that will provide a framework for exploring food action and sustainability in our daily lives.
Venue: The training will be held at the Quaker Center in Ben Lomond, California. Participants should expect to share dorm-style rooms with fellow participants.
Cost: Participant travel and lodging costs will be covered by the UC Office of the President via the Global Food and Carbon Neutrality Initiatives’ Fellows Programs.
This training and retreat is offered to the 2017-18 student fellows of the UC President’s Carbon Neutrality and Global Food Initiatives. If you qualify, please register for the program via the online form. Please note that space is limited and it is expected that the training will be booked at capacity. Register now to secure your spot. Registration confirmation will be made on a rolling basis. Registered fellows will receive email correspondence from the program staff regarding logistics and program detail at least one week prior to the training. For more information and questions, please contact Alina Tejera at the Office of the President at alina.tejera at ucop dot edu.
View Photos from the 2017 northern CA training
View Photos from the 2016 southern CA training