This seminar will be offered next in Spring or Fall quarter 2020. Students will learn skills for community resilience organizing with an emphasis on environmental and climate justice, deepen practices of transformative movement building, cultivate audacious vision, build community across movements, and navigate into action. This seminar is part of our campus’ nascent Community Resilience Co-lab, an experimental co-curricular education response to the enduring and intersecting crises of environmental, racial, and social injustice.
What: Advanced Community Resilience Organizing Seminar
Who: UCI undergraduate and graduate students
When: Spring or Fall Quarter 2020; Wednesdays, 3 – 4:50 pm
Units: 1.3 unit class P/NP; University Affairs Course Code 86720
Instructor: Abby Reyes, Director, UCI Community Resilience Projects
Through highly participatory activities and practices, it is expected that students will:
- Deepen understanding of ways that issues of environmental, climate, racial, and social justice intersect;
- Deepen understanding and practices of regeneration, resilience, and interdependence;
- Learn skills for transformative leadership, movement building and advocacy;
- Learn skills for community visioning and action planning;
- Create a support network and strong sense of community and solidarity with their peers; and
- Develop student-led project(s) to execute after the course with continued guidance and support from the Community Resilience Co-lab.